Saturday, June 22, 2013

Rumi: You need fire...

Rumi was a true sage, a magnificent soul whose teachings have survived to our time. I recently heard the following metaphor from a dear friend who follows Rumi's teachings. People often wonder, "What have I done to deserve all the hardships I am encountering in this life? I try to be a good person. Why me?"

Here is Rumi's answer to this dilemma that most everyone I know is facing.

If we were to use the analogy of cooking to our lives, things suddenly make sense. You could have a wonderful recipe, use the most carefully selected ingredients, but until you cook it on fire the flavours do not come together in perfect harmony.

So you see, dear reader, all the suffering we encounter in this life is the fire we need to bring all the flavours together. Never doubt that every bit of suffering you endure brings you closer to that perfect harmony and understanding of the true purpose of life.

We learn through the suffering and eventually attain enlightenment. If not in this lifetime, in the next, or the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment