Monday, April 29, 2013

Humane working conditions for all workers

I usually harp about being kind to animals, but every once in a while I feel a deep pain in my heart when I hear horror stories about people's working conditions. Last week, an 8 story building collapsed in the outskirts of Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh. More than 300 people are dead; the death toll will likely rise. Hundreds are still missing. Most of these people worked for minimum wage, which is about $37/month. This amount is not even pocket money for a child in the western world.

Apparently, Bangladesh has the lowest minimum wage in the world and has been attracting a lot of foreign business in the garment industry. I am happy to hear that there are minimum wage laws and this helps people who would otherwise be unemployed and live in poverty, but I wish the business owners would listen to warnings about buildings that are not safe and evacuate them.

My heartfelt condolences go to all those families who lost a loved one in this incident. I invite you all to send loving and calming thoughts to them. Believe it or not, your good thoughts and wishes will help take some of their pain away.

This woman was one of the lucky who survived. The rest of the photos are too graphic for me to display in a blog.

Photo from Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment